Changing Your Name in New York

Important Pointers for New Yorkers

In New York, all residents have the right to change and choose whatever name desired. However, minors, children and inmates are exempted from changing names. For under 18, parents or guardian are required to petition on their ward’s behalf and are also expected to show the judge that the name changing is of the wards’ best interest. All states have laid out a process to ensure a legal name change. [Read More]